4/10/2017

Memories along IATEFL journey!! (1)




Quite a long journey that deserves striving for. Whenever I travel I consider I am on a learning or educational (knowledge) journey!! I do my best to enjoy every minute of it. This time it was a long way to IATEFL Glasgow. I took the plane first to London and spent the transit hours by London Tower Bridge enjoying the Thames scenery.  The river water helps you relax and set your thoughts behind. Then, I took the train for 6 hours on a long tiring journey to Glasgow. I arrived in the early morning, set my bags and rushed to IATEFL Conference. I was finally there!! Yet I had to run distances from one session to the other. This is the price of learning!! I enjoyed the talks and discussions over there, meeting new and old colleagues and talking to different distinguished Speakers. I attended an interesting session for Jeremy Harmer. I missed his talks so much. I also enjoyed Carol Reed’s session as well. I will soon be setting the details of these sessions.  Stay tuned!!









Travelling by train or bus in England is interesting especially by bus as it gives you the chance to enjoy the wonderful beauty of the English Countryside. Along the way you feel the beauty of nature in the wide meadows with sheep scattered here and there enjoying the pastures!!



What serenity!! It reminded me of Wordsworth’s idea of ‘recollected in tranquility’, but this time I was so much affected that I held my pen and started writing right away. Meadows here, small woods there, yellow wonderful daffodils sprout along the way saying hello. I wish I could have the time and money to go on long walks through these places. You find the trees clothed with green leaves along the stems and the small shrubs peeking among the tall trees. Even the greenery had all the degrees that you could imagine. I thought they were only in cartoon films and pictures, but they are there!! Imagine!!



Wondering at such beauty, I remembered how much I enjoyed Thomas Hardy’s meticulous description of nature and wondered how he did that!! That reminded me also of Jane Austen’s novels and the long walks her heroines took in the forests. Remember Eliza running through the muddy rainy woods to go to her friend’s house in Pride and Prejudice. I don’t know why, I also remembered Miss Potter’s stories and life as soon as I saw the hilly pastures. Maybe because they look somehow like the area of Lake District where she used to live.













We are approaching the city by now, it’s time to hold this beauty in heart and move ahead!! At least I tried to stop and stare as William Henry Davis once said in his poem ‘Leisure’
          A poor life this if, full of care,
         We have no time to stand and stare

STAY TUNED for more memories to come!!
There was an error in this gadget